On Friday, February 11, the Standing Committee on Public Accounts (SCOPA) received a written statement from President Cyril Ramaphosa on his alleged involvement in the misappropriation of public funds.
The case stems from a complaint filed by now-suspended ANC MP Mervyn Dirks, who claimed that Ramaphosa knew about public funds being used to pay the ruling party’s election campaigns.
A audio recording of someone who sounded like Ramaphosa informing an ANC NEC Committee that he is aware of the party’s misuse of public monies prompted Dirks to file a complaint with SCOPA.
As previously reported, SCOPA gave Ramaphosa seven to 10 days to respond to the questions.
On Friday, Mkhuleko Hlengwa, the Committee chairperson, confirmed receipt of the President’s letter.
“Having studied the contents of the letter from the President, Mr Hlengwa has referred it to the Parliamentary Legal Services to give guidance on certain aspects of the President’s response,” said SCOPA in a statement.
The contents of Ramaphosa’s letter and Parliament’s legal advice will be presented at a SCOPA meeting on Wednesday, 16 February.
Meanwhile, Ramaphosa was at the post-SONA Presidential Golf Challenge fundraiser in Melkbosstrand on Friday. He confirmed that he signed the letter, to journalists, but would not answer further questions.
The President said he would have a sit-down interview with the media on Tuesday, 15 February, the details of which are yet to be revealed.