The South Gauteng High Court’s decision to terminate former leader Jacob Zuma’s private investigation into President Cyril Ramaphosa has been welcomed by the Presidency.
The Presidency expressed its appreciation for the judgment and said that the private prosecution was driven by baseless allegations in a statement on Monday.
According to the Presidency, President Cyril Ramaphosa has approved of the South Gauteng High Court division’s decision to halt the private investigation initiated by former president Jacob Zuma against him until the appeal to quash the investigation is heard.
“The court upheld all of the president’s main arguments, including the court’s power to consider the interdict motion and the urgency of the situation in light of a scheduled court appearance based on a prima facie illegal nolle prosequi.
“The court additionally ruled in favor of the president on the claim that his right to personal freedom had been violated due to a prima-facie flawed summons.
“The judgment confirms the president’s position that the private prosecution is motivated by an ulterior purpose based on false and baseless allegations, constitutes an abuse of the private prosecution provisions, and exhibits flagrant disregard for the law,” the president said in a statement following the judgment.
Ramaphosa is described by Zuma as a “accessory” in the Karyn Maughan and Billy Downer v. Zuma case.
The Jacob Zuma Foundation is not pleased with the decision, according to Mzwanele Manyi, a spokesman for the organization. She pointed out that the president is still accused despite the high court having granted him an immediate interdict.
Outside of court, Manyi stated, “We are not delighted with this [judgment]. It doesn’t appear like justice has been done, but the fact remains that president Ramaphosa continues to be a charged person.”
“The date of September 19 will be addressed. All of that merely indicates that the matter is still pending, that he is still a defendant, and that we will continue to monitor its progress.”
Sutherland delivered his ruling on Monday morning, noting: “We ordered the matter on the following conditions for the following reasons: First, since the application is urgent, the usual forms and services required by the standard rules of court are omitted.
Two, the first responded is forbidden from taking any further actions to give effect to the nolle prosequi certificates of November 21, 2022, and June 6, 2022, and the summonses issued by the registrar of December 15, 2022, or to pursue the private prosecution case number 59 77 2 of 2022 against the applicant in any way, pending the final determination of part B.
“Third, this urgent application’s associated costs will be withheld. Four of the parties’ representatives are instructed to go right away to the deputy judge president’s office in Johannesburg to set up a case management meeting to decide when part B will be heard.
Ramaphosa won’t have to show up in person in court on Thursday thanks to the ruling.